Well Ways Program for Carers
Well Ways is a family education program facilitated by carers. The Well Ways suite of programs is designed to increase the capacity of families, carers and friends to care effectively for themselves, other family members and their friends living with mental illness. The course provides informal workshops involving group discussions, videos and practical demonstrations which are designed around adult learning principles.
Current research evidence and the experience of families who have lived with mental illness combine to help families in a way that purely medical information cannot. Our family-to-family model offers the opportunity to benefit from the wisdom and experience of our family educators.
The program includes:
- Up to date information about anxiety, depression, bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia, obsessive-compulsive disorders, schizo-affective disorder and dual diagnosis (drug and alcohol abuse and mental illness).
- Information about mental health services available to you and your family.
- Practical insight into behaviour associated with mental illness and strategies to respond effectively.
- Practical frameworks to improve communication and problem solving skills.
- The dilemmas and complexities of the caring role.
- Recovery as a unique and individual experience.
- Concepts of recovery for the whole family.
How does it work?
Well Ways consists of a block of twelve weekly sessions of three hours each, using mentoring and peer principles.
The Well Ways program is funded to provide carer education workshops throughout Metropolitan Perth. This program also extends to rural Western Australia including:
- South West
Well Ways Regional Project Partners:
For those in outlying or isolated rural areas a more flexible option may be the Snapshot program, which consists of two, three-four hour sessions.
For people with a dual diagnosis of mental illness and drug or alcohol problems the Duo program takes place over 10 weeks of three-hour weekly group sessions.
Well Ways Carer Education Suite
Well Ways Carer Education suite of programs include:
- Building a Future – A 12 session program for family members, friends and carers of a person with a mental illness.
- MI Recovery – A 10 session program people with a lived experience of mental illness.
- Duo – A 10 session program for family members, friends and carers of a person with a dual diagnosis (mental ilness and drug/alcohol issues).
- Snapshot – A 2 session introductory program for family members, friends and carers of a person with a mental illness including a short presentation from someone with a lived experience of mental illness.
For the next Well Ways program see: Well Ways & Carer Program Events
*NEW TO THE PROGRAM
LGBTI Carer Support
MIFWA Carer Services are involved with a new initiative in 2017. Providing the Well Ways program 'Building a Future' family education to LGBTI Carers. We are calling for expression of interest for the program commencing in 2017.
For more information click LGBTI Carer Support
Please feel free to distribute among your network.
Carer Services provide regular opportunities for carers to hear from speakers that are experts in their field on topics that may enhance the caring role. To find out more information please visit Well Ways & Carer Program Events.
For referrals please download Well Ways and Carers Services Referral Form. For more information call us at MIFWA's Midland Office Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm on (08) 9237 8900.
Also see: Well Ways Fact Sheets