For over 30 years we have worked alongside people affected by mental health issues in a way that is meaningful to them.
Assisting around 2,500 people every year, we exist to champion and support people who have experienced mental illness, as well as their families and carers.
We are a community mental health provider and a small team of experienced and dedicated people who understand, offers information and practical support.
We were established by families and individuals with lived experience, driven by hope to find a way for people diagnosed with mental illness to reconnect with their life and community.
We are not clinical or medical (at times we compliment this aspect of people’s care/treatment), rather we focus on supporting people to get on with their life, goals and aspirations. We know that people do much better when they are active, contributing and have opportunities to participate, learn and develop.
The Way We Work – Living our MIFWA Values
- Accountability – Individually and as an organisation, we are accountable and responsible for our behaviours; activities; decisions; outcomes; and are open and transparent in what we do.
- Integrity – We demonstrate integrity by having the courage to do the right thing and stand up for what’s right, being responsible for our actions, being honest and adhering to the highest ethical standards.
- Inclusion and Acceptance – We acknowledge everyone’s worth and dignity, regardless of background, abilities or beliefs; we demonstrate empathy, show consideration for one another, and acknowledge the value of others.
- Collaboration – We work with others (individuals and groups) to achieve shared goals; sharing knowledge, learning together and building consensus.
- Empowerment – We work to empower people and help them gain control over their own lives, fostering power in the individual to act on the issues they define as most important to them.
A Carer Friendly Workforce
As an employer who recognises the benefits of supporting carers in the workplace, we are an endorsed Carer Friendly Workplace.