Supporting people to return home and into the community after a hospital stay.
Returning home following a hospital stay can be overwhelming, however we believe that even small amounts of the right support from the right person provided at the right time can make a big difference.
The MIFWA Hospital to Home Program is a peer‑led service that supports people who have been in hospital due to experiencing mental distress to return home following a hospital stay.
How It Works
The Hospital to Home Program aims to:
- Optimise the transition to home following a hospital stay due to mental health challenges
- Connect people to the supports they need to stay safe and well
- Support people to regain confidence and build resiliency
- Support and facilitate navigation of the mental health system
- Reduce feelings of distress and readmission to hospital.
Following receipt of a referral from a partner hospital, a MIFWA Peer Worker contacts and meets with the person referred to talk through their situation. Together, they develop a plan about the supports needed. For some people, regular phone calls and checking in may be all that is required. For others, connection to ongoing support to navigate problems is provided over the weeks and months following their hospital experience.
This support will continue for up to 8 weeks once you have been discharged from the hospital, depending on your needs.
How We Can Help
Our team of experienced Peer Workers understand the difficulties faced on discharge from the hospital.
Our Peer Workers provide valuable support and understanding around accessing services and building the life you want to live, including:
- Regularly checking in with you at home and over the phone
- Connecting you to the supports you need to stay safe and well
- Attending appointments with you
- Assistance with building confidence in the management of day-to-day activities
- Facilitating referrals to other service providers
- Connecting you with local community and other relevant organisations.
Click here to download ‘A Reflection on a Community Mental Health Program in 2020 – MIFWA Hospital to Home‘, our latest report on the program.
For further information, contact the MIFWA Hospital to Home Program at email@example.com or call 9237 8900.