Hospital to Home
Supporting people to reintegrate into home and community after a hospital stay
Returning home following a hospital stay can be overwhelming, and we recognise having someone who offers support and information can make the transition home easier and less stressful.
The Hospital to Home Program is a peer led service that supports people who have been in hospital due to experiencing mental distress to return home following a hospital stay.
How We Can Help
Our experienced Peer Workers understand the difficulties faced on discharge from hospital.
By connecting with people while they are in hospital, our Peer Workers provide valuable support and understanding. This initial support while in hospital continues upon discharge after they leave hospital.
The Hospital to Home Program:
- Connects people to the support they need to stay safe and well
- Supports people to regain confidence and build resilience
- Optimises the transition to home following a hospital stay
- Supports and facilitates referrals to other service providers.
- Reduces the risk of rereferral into Hospital.
How It Works
Following receipt of a referral from a partner hospital, a MIFWA Peer Worker contacts and meets with the person referred to talk through their situation. Together, they develop a plan about the supports needed. For some people, regular phone calls and checking in may be all that is required. For others, connection to ongoing support to navigate problems is provided over the weeks and months following their hospital experience.
Some of the supports our Peer Workers offer
- Initial visit while in hospital
- Transportation to appointments (e.g. doctor, other health professionals)
- Home visits / Telephone support
- Help to break down barriers to access services
- Assistance with building confidence
- Attend appointments with a person
- Connecting them to their local community
Click here to download ‘A Reflection on a Community Mental Health Program in 2020 – MIFWA Hospital to Home‘, our latest report on the program.
For further information, contact the MIFWA Hospital to Home Program on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9237 8900.