Peer and Non-Peer Support
Supporting you through a changing time!
MIFWA is committed to remaining relevant and mission driven in the current environment, and we are here to support you through the short-term situation created by the COVID-19 (coronavirus).
At this challenging time, we are offering phone, text, video and/or email support to people who would like support to sustain and build mental health and wellbeing.
About the Reaching Out Program
The Reaching Out Program is for people who have an existing experience of mental distress.
As part of the program, MIFWA will provide consistent phone or online video support to assist you to navigate the current environment, with the levels of support being based on your individual needs and preferences.
We’ll allocate one or two community mental health workers to check in with you on a regular basis. This will include one or two calls a week and sending you out things to help keep active while at home.
Our phone contact will focus on:
- Checking in on how you are coping and offering time to chat through and problem solve things that might be difficult
- Reassuring and reminding you that you are not alone, that we will get through this, and that we will be here for you until this situation resolves
- Offering practical advice on how to keep well and sharing positive things to do at home to manage wellbeing such as:
- Promoting gratitude practice and mindfulness as a way to keep well
- Where to get assistance if you become unwell
- Inspiring hopefulness and confidence that this situation will pass
- Assisting with navigating Centrelink and tenancy issues, if require.
People need to opt in for this support and can opt out at any time.
This is not a crisis service or clinical service. People experiencing a mental health crisis will be encouraged to reach out to crisis services.
Our goal is to keep people safe and well and at home, relieving pressure on hospital settings and reducing unnecessary distress. And once this situation resolves, we will re-establish MIFWA’s other programs in partnership with our stakeholders.
For further information
For further information about the Reaching Out Program, get in touch.
To submit an Expression of Interest, fill out the form below and our team will be in touch as soon as possible.